Walmart is the largest retailer in the U.S., and it’s no wonder that they have a check cashing policy to help you get your money when you need it. Walmart may be the place to go for cheap and convenient food, but it also deposits checks. How do you know what the rules are for Walmart check cashing? Read on for some great information about your local Walmart check cashing policy.
Whether it’s your first time at Walmart or you’re a long-time customer, the check cashing policy can be confusing. Below we’ll break down the top things you need to know while using this great check cashing option.
What is Walmart Check Cashing Policy?
Walmart cash centers will cash personal checks and other types of checks up to the Walmart check cashing limits. Walmart will not accept personal checks over $5,000 from May to December. Walmart will accept checks up to $7,500 from January to April. Fees range from $4 to a maximum fee of $8, depending on the check amount.
Walmart Check Cashing Policy – Identification
If you’re looking to cash a check at Walmart, you’ll need to have valid ID and have the preprinted amount of the check under the Walmart check cashing limits. Fees will apply.
Walmart Check Cashing Policy – Hours
You can cash checks during the Walmart Money Center Hours of operation. If you cash a personal check during business hours, Walmart will cash it within two hours. Checks cannot be cashed on Sundays.
Walmart Check Cashing Policy – Personal Bank Account
A bank account in your name is not required to cash a check at Walmart. Whether you have an account or not, the money center can settle checks on your behalf if you have the necessary documents.Walmart cashes simple checks, which is why you don’t need your own account. Representatives from the money center will verify the check’s validity and handle the rest. If you want to open an account, you can learn about the differences between checking and savings accounts.
Walmart Check Cashing Policy – Identification
When you cash your check at Walmart, you have two options for receiving your funds: cash or a Walmart Money Card (a Visa debit card).
Walmart may refuse to cash a check if fraud is suspected or other unusual activity occurs.
Types of Checks Included in Walmart Check Cashing Policy
Here are the most popular checks that are cashed at Walmart stores. If you have a personal check that you don’t see on this list, you can contact your local Walmart and ask if your pre-printed check is accepted.
- Cashiers’ checks
- Payroll checks
- Government checks
- Certified checks
- Business checks
- Retirement distribution checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- 401(k) retirement checks
- SSI payments
- Unemployment payments
- Workers compensation payments
- Tax refunds
- MoneyGram Money Orders issued at a local Walmart
- Two-party personal checks (Check Cashing Limit Applies)
Checks Not Included in Walmart Check Cashing Policy
These are the majority of checks that are not accepted for personal check cashing at Walmart.
- Government checks made out to third parties
- Third-party checks
- Non-endorsed checks
- Post-dated checks
- Personal checks made out to “Cash”
- Stale-dated checks over 180 days old
- Starter checks
- Two-party personal checks over $200
- Personal, blank, pre-printed, and temporary checks
- Checks issued by companies, governments, and corporations.
- Personal checks with the signature snipped off
- A cashier’s check for $3,000 or more. If you prefer, you can purchase a cashier’s check for that amount at Walmart.
- Money orders in any denomination greater than $1,000.00 If you need more options, look into money orders near me.
Walmart Check Cashing Policy – Verification Requirements
To cash a check at Walmart, you must present some form of valid identification. The following are the requirements for cashing pre-printed checks, tax checks, cashier’s checks, and other checks:
- To cash a check at Walmart, two forms of identification are required. The first type of ID will not have a photo, whereas the second will.
- For pre-printed checks, tax refund checks, cashier’s checks, and other types considered valid by Walmart, a valid driver’s license or state-issued non-ID driver’s is required.
- Walmart accepts one type of government ID with a photo for payroll checks, social security checks, retirement checks, and other types.
- To cash a pre-printed check at Walmart, two forms of identification are required. The first will not have a picture, whereas the second will.
- Personal government checks and other types considered valid sources by Walmart require a valid driver’s license or a state-issued non-ID. driver’s.
When cashing a check at Walmart, the Money Center will verify the following:
- The check has been endorsed
- The check is not drawn because there are insufficient bank funds
- The issuing bank is legitimate
- The check’s bank account number is correct
- The checking account is legitimate, and there is no attempt at check fraud
- The routing number is correct.
Walmart Check Cashing Policy – Fees
The fees for check cashing at Walmart vary depending on the type of check.
Two-Party Personal Checks Cashing Fees
Walmart will cash a two-party personal check for up to $200. The fee is limited to a maximum of $6.
Pre-Printed Check Cashing Fees
Year round, Walmart will cash a pre-printed check up to a maximum of $5,000.From January to April, Walmart will cash checks up to $7,500 to accommodate tax season.Fees are $4 for checks up to $1,000.Fees are $8 for checks ranging from $1,000 to $5,000.During the months of January through April, Walmart advises customers to contact customer service if they have checks worth more than $5,000.
Fees For Walmart MoneyCard
Fees apply if you choose to receive your cashed check funds via the Walmart MoneyCard. When you cash the check, you will still be charged the maximum check cashing fee amounts. The reload fee, however, is waived, according to the Walmart website.
The following are the advantages of a Walmart MoneyCard:
- Accepted at Walmart and Sam’s Club locations across the United States
- Reload fees are not charged (this means you do not pay to load your card with checks)
- You do not need to be concerned about debit card declined errors.
- It can be used for in-store retail shopping
- There is no need to be concerned about an overdraft fee.
- When used on Walmart.com, you will receive 3% of your purchase price back.
- When used at Walmart or Murphy USA gas stations, you will receive 2% of your purchase price back
- 1% of the purchase price is refunded at Walmart or Sam’s Club.
Please keep in mind that current fees and cashback amounts are subject to change at any time.
Before you can cash your check at Walmart, you have to be sure that they will cash the type of check you have, follow our list above to see the types of checks they will cash or reach out to your local Walmart Cash Center. The checkout process at Walmart is straightforward if you have the requirements outlined above. You can also have your cash put onto a Visa debit card to be used in-store if that’s a better option for you.
It is strongly advised that you check with your local store or the Walmart website before visiting to ensure that they accept checks. It’s always a good idea to double-check that the one you visit is open during the hours you require.
Check out some of our similar articles